Sherman, Hoffman, & Hipp LC takes pride in its historic Ellsworth heritage. The law firm dates from the 1870’s when Ellsworth was the railhead between Abilene and Dodge City for the Texas cattle drives. Ira E. Lloyd started his practice of law in Ellsworth in 1873 – about the time Wyatt Earp was argued to be marshal for a day of Ellsworth and Wild Bill Hickok was in Ellsworth befriending Indian Annie. Read Ira Lloyd’s diary on the perils of law practice in a lawless town.
Ira E. Lloyd became well-known in the region; and along with his partner and brother-in-law, Norris Nourse, created a significant law library. The firm still retains a large number of leather bound law books embossed with the name of Ira E. Lloyd, including Modern Jury Trials, copyrighted 1881.
After the death of Ira E. Lloyd, Nourse practiced alone until 1932 when Paul L. Aylward purchased the practice. Paul L. Aylward and George E. Miner subsequently established the firm of Aylward and Miner. Paul Aylward became the firm leader and served as president of the Kansas American Legion and was the state Democratic candidate for the United States Senate in 1962. Mr. Aylward was well known for his condemnation work, first representing the United States and then landowners in both state and federal courts.
In 1968 the firm moved to its present location and into the building originally built in 1912 which in 2007 was listed as a national historic building. From the mid-1930’s to 1967, the building was occupied by the United States Post Office. In 1986 the firm purchased the adjacent building to remodel and expand its office space to accommodate four attorneys, Smoky Hill Title Company, and it’s growing technological, staff, and business needs. Today, the building continues to serve as the hub of the thriving Kansas regional law practice of Sherman, Hoffman, & Hipp LC.